Clients always ask me how to maintain a bright, white smile, so I thought I'd share my top five tips for a healthy mouth. While following this advice will be beneficial, nothing will help your oral hygiene more than a dental hygienist, which leads me to my first point...
1) Have regular dental and hygiene appointments. Visit the dentist at least once a year and the hygienist a minimum of twice a year to keep your smile gleaming.
2) Use a straw for drinks and try and rinse your mouth with water after consuming dark-coloured foods and drinks. Keep acids and sugars to meal times only and aim for no more than three to four sugary/acidic snacks per day.
3) Invest in an electric toothbrush. Brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste and be sure to include some form of cleaning in between the teeth, either with floss or inter-dental brushes.
4) Chewing gum is not just for freshening breath. Sugar-free gum increases salivary flow, which can neutralise plaque acids, help remove food debris, strengthen teeth and reduce dry mouth. I suggest only opting for chewing gums with Xylitol as an ingredient, as it can help fight tooth decay too.
5) Make lifestyle changes. Quit smoking or cut back on the red wine and coffee. Your body will thank you and so will your teeth!